Mage: The Ascension - Hawthorne Heights
Matter is the sphere presiding over all non-living physical elements of the world.
Often overlooked for its lack of flashy effects, Matter is actually a very versatile Sphere and easily one of the most defensive spheres available.
Matter rarely deals damage directly, the exception being to constructs and non-living physical beings.
When Matter does damage a pattern directly it is on a 1 to 1 scale.
Matter 1 – Dedicant
- Sense and understand Matter (break down the elemental composition of a box, see if there is anything inside of it, determine if there is integral damage to an item – best combined with Forces, Entropy, or Life to determine if an item would harm a pattern, how to break an item, etc.)
- Dedicants of Matter are more acutely in tune with how household items are functioning, along with their devices (+1 difficulty for any item kept up and running by a Matter Mage to break down)
Matter 2 – Initiate
- Minor alterations to simple Patterns (turn a piece of paper into a dollar bill, manipulate the metal in a pad lock to become soft and pliable, turn iron into titanium, turn cotton into kevlar, transform water into wine, etc. – these transformations are temporary without Quintessence or Prime 2)
- Able to manipulate Matter only on a small scale at this level (can of play dough, gun, cell phone, book, door handle, etc.)
Matter 3 – Disciple
- Major alterations to simple Patterns (sculpt a rock into a statue, repair a broken mirror perfectly, break a car engine, turn water to ice, separate the elements in a penny, give glass a liquid form again, etc. – these transformations are temporary without Quintessence or Prime 2)
- Create simple Patterns (pull a coin from your pocket, create nails for boarding up a door, make water – these simple Patterns will unravel; however, utilizing Quintessence or Prime 2 these Patterns can be permanent)
- Simple alterations to complex Patterns (alter other Spheres on a personal level – i.e. combining Matter and Spirit to give a Spirit a mannequin’s body, Life and Matter to create rock skin armor, Forces and Matter to turn a bolt of lightning into glass, etc.)
- Able to manipulate matter on a personal level at this point (statue, motorcycle, small car, section of a wall, etc.)
- Disciples of Matter are more acutely in tune with how household items are functioning, along with their devices (+2 difficulty for any item kept up and running by a Matter Mage to break down)
Matter 4 – Adept
- Complex alterations to simple Patterns (with the appropriate mundane knowledge or Mind 3 a Matter mage can turn a pile of wood into a functioning radio, transform a rock into a cell phone, etc.)
- Major alterations to complex Patterns (alter other Spheres on a greater level – i.e. combining Matter and Spirit to give a Spirit the body of a large golem, Life and Matter to create living metal, Forces and Matter to turn sunlight into a cell phone, etc.)
- Create complex patterns (pull a fully functioning gun from nowhere, make a GPS system out of nothing – these Patterns will unravel; however, utilizing Quintessence or Prime 2 these Patterns can be permanent)
- Able to manipulate Matter on a greater level (boulder, school bus, raise an entire wall, etc.)
Matter 5 – Master
- Complete control over Matter (able to create impossible materials – bullet proof plastic, make metal weigh next to nothing regardless of mass and density, create material that reacts to its surroundings, change the boiling point of wood to 70 degrees etc.)
- Create complex materials (radioactive material, magnetic material, etc.)
- Able to manipulate Matter on a vast scale (building, city block, airplane, etc.)